Did you know your Military Experience can give you credit towards the work requirement to get your Contractor License?

Did you know your Military Experience can give you credit towards the work requirement to get your Contractor License?  Many veterans have attained skills that are transferable for California contractor licensure.  The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) offers a “Veterans Application Assistance Program” giving veterans priority by evaluating training, education, and transferable military experience.  The CSLB provides technicians specially trained to assist veterans from all branches of the military (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard).  They will review your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) and the education and training transcript provided by your military branch.  Please note that if your military transcript is not available, the CSLB requests that you submit a copy of your DD-214 so they can evaluate your training and experience that is applicable to fulfill licensure requirements.  Both military and civilian education and experience will be evaluated. If your education and experience meet the work experience requirements for contractor licensure, you will be approved to take the license examination in the contractor trade that you are qualified.  If you don’t meet all the requirements for a contractor license, the CSLB will contact you directly and provide you with suggestions on how you can fulfill the necessary work experience requirements.

The CSLB will also evaluate college transcripts that may meet the contractor licensure requirements.  Veterans are given priority application processing as well as assistance with fingerprinting requirements. Also included are email and telephone contact with CSLB staff.

All new contractor license applicants are required to submit fingerprints for a criminal background check. Be sure you disclose all convictions on your application.  The CSLB has a Criminal Background Unit (CBU), and they will review the results of your Live Scan fingerprint results.  If they do not meet the necessary standards and your application is denied, you will be notified by CBU and they will provide information on how you can appeal the decision.

Veterans interested in applying for a California contractor license should submit the following to the CSLB.

Original Contractor License Application

Copy of DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)

Copy of ERB (Enlist Record Brief)

Copy of ORB (Officer Record Brief

Copy of DD-2586 (Verification of Military Experience and Training Form)

Copy of your Military Transcripts

Here at Academy License Center (ALC) we offer an excellent “Application Processing Service”.  We can assist you in filling out all the necessary paperwork as mentioned above, and help you to avoid making mistakes on your application that could cause delays on getting the fastest exam test date possible.  We have helped thousands of contractors get their license over the years with our successful and proven contractor courses for both the Law & Business and Contractor Trade potions of the California state exam (98-99% of our students pass the first time). All of our courses at ALC have been designed for the convenience of independent (home) study.  That’s right, you can study whenever you choose anytime, anywhere 24/7!  No longer are you tied down to others school or office hours.  No seminars are required because we give you everything you need to pass upfront, including “Updates” that include latest state exam questions, along with all of your course materials and practice tests. Your contractor course is also Pass Guaraneed! You’ll be 100% prepared to pass your state exam the first time. It’s our pleasure to serve and assist our nations Veterans, we honor you and we thank you!

3 thoughts on “Did you know your Military Experience can give you credit towards the work requirement to get your Contractor License?

  1. Susan Vincent says:

    Hi Paul,
    California state requires that you show you have at least 4 full years experience in the construction field you are applying for. You can go back as far as 10 years to show a total of four years experience. We can help you prepare your state application for your contractor license. Our Application Processing can help you avoid making mistakes that can cause delays on getting a test date. The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) does not require any pay stubs or tax returns as proof of work. All you need is to fill out the “Certification of Work Experience” which is a part of your contractor license application. ” This form is where you write in detail your contractor work experience. At the bottom of the form is an area that requires the signature of someone who can agree or vouch for you supporting the work experience you have written. The state prefers the signature in support of your work experience to be one of the following: a current or former employer, fellow employee, union representative, foreman or supervisor, journeyman or other contractor with whom you have worked or done business. We hope you find this information helpful. You may also find answers to some of your questions on state requirements, on Contractor School “Contractor Licensing Information” section under the “Requirements” tab. If you should have any further questions, please feel free to contact us by phone. Our friendly staff is happy to answer your questions and can also help assist you in ordering your contractor license course.

  2. Kelly Valdez says:

    Hello, I am a veteran and I’m looking to get my general contractors. What do I need to do to begin the process?

    • Susan Vincent says:

      As long as you have at least 4 years experience in the general building contractors trade within the past 10 years you are good to go! Just give us a call to place an order or use our online store on our website at acadctr.com If you want help with the application papers please be sure to add our application processing service to your course order.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *